Project 189 is a grassroots organization that protects, promotes and improves the rights of migrant workers in the Middle East. Our vision is for all migrant workers to be equal and free from all forms of exploitation, discrimination and abuse. For more information about our mission and values, click here.
About this project
Project 189 works with migrant workers across the Gulf. The Crowdfunding Intern will work specifically on our efforts in Oman.
Approximately 200 women from Sierra Leone have been trafficked to Oman to work as domestic workers. These women came to Oman in search of an economic livelihood to support their dreams and families back home, but, for many, the conditions they arrived to are far from what they should be. And the situation has only been made worse due to the COVI-19 pandemic.
Due to their situation, these women need to be repatriated as fast as possible. However, governments and large organizations are not able to repatriate them, thus we must turn to the public to fund their tickets. You can learn more about these women and their stories on our Instagram account.
About this opportunity
The Crowdfunding Intern will be the main organizer of our crowdfunding campaign aimed at supporting approximately 200 Sierra Leonean women to return home. You will work directly with the Project 189 Director and Oman Program Associate to envision and execute this campaign.
- Set up a crowdfunding campaign on GoFundMe, which includes:
- Writing compelling campaign copy that is effective at reaching a global audience
- Creating inspiring images and videos
- Create a marketing plan for the campaign, which should include:
- A calendar,
- List of potential partners,
- A ‘press kit’ for campaign partners, etc.
- Build relationships with organizational partners and encourage them to promote the campaign
- Create and publish social media posts (primarily on Instagram) to promote the campaign
- Update the campaign page as needed
- Thank donors privately and publicly
You are an excellent writer and know how to use social media to evoke action. You understand how to write fundraising stories that are empowering to those we are serving. You are a self-starter and require minimal direction to complete tasks. You are energized by big goals.
You have experience:
- Running a crowdfunding campaign (experience specifically with GoFundMe preferred)
- Writing fundraising materials
- Creating social media posts that inspire action
This position starts ASAP. It is fully remote and open to applicants of all levels who meet the qualifications. Current students have the option of receiving academic credit, as allowed by their institutions.
- Be available to work approximately 20 hours/week for minimum 3 months
- Have access to a computer and internet connection
- Available for periodic meetings during working hours in the Gulf.
Application will be considered on a rolling basis starting January 11. To apply, send us your resume/CV and cover letter to email@example.com. Please include the words “Crowdfunding Internship Application” in the subject line.